In February 2017, KindWorks hosted a dinner for new refugees. In March 2017, KindWorks began our support of new refugee neighbors in our area by furnishing apartments for newly arriving families. Working with the three local resettlement agencies (International Rescue Committee, Ethiopian Community Development Council and Lutheran Social Services), we prepare a warm, welcoming apartment home using donations of furniture, home good items, kitchen utensils, linens and much more from generous KindWorkers.
KindWorks also continues to work with the Asylum Seekers Assistance Project, providing job readiness training.
Ways To Help:
- Please consider a financial donation towards our Refugee Support Work. Whether $25, $250 or $2,500, your donation will be used to help us provide beautifully furnished apartments and job readiness training in the future!
Our past projects include:
- A mother-daughter team led an apartment set-up for an Afghani family of 3 on July 11, in honor and memory of Bev Zeidenberg.
- We furnished and prepared a home for a family of three women on July 5.
- We completed an apartment for an Afghan family with a little boy on July 1.
- We prepared an apartment and got to meet the family on June 29! A fun time with awesome teen volunteers.
- We finished setting up another apartment for a refugee family from Iraq on June 19th.
- We completed an apartment on June 13 for an Afghan family.
- We set-up an apartment for an Afghani couple on May 9th.
- From April 17-21, we assisted with ASAP’s first ever job readiness training for Asylum Seekers!
- We set-up an apartment for an Afghani family of 7 on April 6th
Many thanks to Suburban Solutions for jumping in and handling the furniture move!
- We collected Euros and sent them to Lesbos, Greece where feminine hygiene products for refugees staying in the camps there were bought and shared
- A minivan full of extra clothing and household items collected at our Welcome Dinner were delivered to Mosaic, a non-profit in Virginia, who is shipping it all (and more) to a refugee camp on the Turkish/Syrian border!
- We gave LSS the following items collected to share with their families who did not come to our Welcome Dinner: laundry detergent, toothbrushes and toothpastes, towels, shampoos and conditioners, warm coats, mens suits, can openers and deodorants.
- We kicked off our Refugee Support with a Refugees Welcome Dinner on Sunday Feb 26th