KindWorks organizes and facilitates a variety of short-term volunteer projects and educational programs that address some of the most urgent needs in Montgomery County – projects that address poverty, hunger, the environment, emergency relief, tolerance and inmate re-entry into the community and job market.
Montgomery County PublicSchools (MCPS) Student Service Learning (SSL) Hours
We are pre-approved to award SSL hours for MCPS students!
Visit this page regularly to see ways to volunteer with KindWorks, helping improve our community and earning hours towards your graduation requirement. We have ongoing and one time volunteer opportunities available throughout the school year and during your summer break. Contact Deb Lang, our Executive Director, to volunteer, ask questions, or make project suggestions.
Currently scheduled projects that work well for students looking to earn SSL Hours are indicated by a graduation cap icon, and include:
- Adopt-A-Road clean up of Sangamore Road in Bethesda from 10 am – Noon on the 2nd Sunday of each January, July and September; all ages welcome
- Annual MLK Day of Service – help younger children make Special Treasures for patients staying at The Children’s Inn at NIH
- Family Dinner – make and serve dinner for families at The Children’s Inn at NIH (must be 16 or older) – usually scheduled for every other month
- Make and serve dinner every 1st Wednesday of the month at a women’s shelter in Rockville. 6-8 pm; all ages welcome
- Make and serve dinner every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month at a men’s shelter in Silver Spring. 5:30-7:30 pm; all ages welcome
- Help throw a birthday party for those celebrating each month – 1st Wednesday of many months at the women’s shelter in Rockville from 7:45-9:15 pm; all ages welcome
- Help throw a bingo party – 3rd Thursday of each month at a day shelter in Silver Spring from 12:45-2:15 pm; all ages welcome
- Manna collection at the Farmers Markets: collect fresh fruit and vegetables (or funds with which to buy them) from shoppers at the local farmers markets. offered periodically throughout the summer season, in Bethesda and Rockville; all ages welcome